Summary of the report on Star for Life´s activities during August 2016 to February 2017 in our sponsor school,
Folweni High School outside of Durban -South Africa.
The partnership of Lööf Foundation and Star For Life continues to have a positive impact on the students at Folweni High school. The school remains a non-fee school and this year there were 1450 students at the school and 55 educators. They report that the school climate in general is good and the students are busy with exams this time of year.
The school staff and the community are very supportive despite various challenges facing the school such as unemployment among parents, high rate of crime, demonstrations and protests in the Folweni area from the community to the government are some factors that are affecting the life of the young students. But despite these challenges many students stay positive to the SFL activities.
- Leadership development workshop for the principal. This workshop was held with other principals in the Durban area and took place in Hluhluwe. The purpose of these workshop was for the principal to continue provide with an inspiring and effectively leadership.
- Arts and culture workshop for the educators. The purpose of this workshop was to support the educators with counselling skills to provide psychosocial support and quality education.
- Classroom sessions was arranged for 9 grade students revolving around study skills.
- Awareness program to address challenges of violence and drugs. Representatives from the Sout African police service and social workers visited the school to inform about the dangers of getting involved in fights and illegal substances.
- Peer education activities, Teen learners from Folweni were trained as peer educators last year. The purpose was to support these peers through educational programs. This year peer educators were send to a workshop for basic understanding of legal issues that they may face.
- Career path workshop for the 12th grade students. These students are doing their final year and this workshop was to encourage them to work towards their ideal careers.
- Inspirational workshop for 8-11 grade students. The intention with this workshop were to remind the students of the possibility of turning thing around despise the high level of crime, poverty and socio economic problems in the community.
- Psychosocial support through coaching, one-on-one counselling in various issues that affect the students.
Other positive events during this period is that one student, Zodwa Maphumulo, received the Star for Life grant to study at the University of KwaZulu Natal!
Read the whole report on SFL activities in Folweni High School, during August 2016 to February 2017 here>>